The Garden Club of South Carolina offers several scholarships.
All forms for GCSC sponsored scholarships can be found listed below
Hessie Morrah Horticulture Scholarship
Offers financial aid to students and encourages the study of Agriculture, Agronomy, Botany, City Planning, Floriculture, Forestry, Land Management, Landscape Architecture, Plant Pathology, Historic Preservation, or related majors.
All tech/junior/4-year undergraduates and graduate students. May apply as a high school senior. Applicant must be a United States citizen and meet state requirements as a South Carolina resident.
Babs Barnette Environmental Scholarship
Offers financial aid to students and encourages the study of Environmental Control issues and allied courses.
Rising junior or senior undergraduates (may apply as college sophomore) and graduate students. Applicant must be a United States citizen and meet state requirements as a South Carolina resident.
Scholarships for the 2017 – 2018 school year will be as follows:
Hessie Morrah Horticultural Scholarship—– $2,000
Babs Barnette Environmental Scholarship—-$500
Those winning scholarships must be enrolled in an accredited technical college, college, or university. Scholarships will be mailed directly to the Financial Aid Office and are divided evenly by semester, trimester, or quarter depending on the academic institution. If a student changes to a non-approved major or withdraws from college, the remaining balance of the funds will be returned to GCSC.
All applicants must enroll in 9 or more credit hours per semester or the per quarter/trimester equivalent. Applicant must be a United States citizen and meet state requirements as a South Carolina resident.
The postmark deadline is February 1, 2018. Mail applications must be sent by certified mail, return receipt requested to Mrs Sandie Duerksen, 165 Double Eagle Court, Aiken, SC 29803 (803-644-5242)or emailed to Sandieduerksen@gmail.com for written confirmation of receipt.
Application material must be stapled or paper-clipped together and in a folder. All the following components must be included in the application folder for it to be judged:
- Transcript of current academic record from last school attended mailed from school registrar/guidance to GCSC Scholarship Chairman, Mrs Sandie Duerksen, 165 Double Eagle Court, Aiken,SC 29803 . (3.0 GPA minimum on a 4.0 scale is required for consideration)
- Narrative written by applicant discussing goals, commitment to chosen academic field of study, financial concerns, background, activities, and honors. (Max. 2 pages)
- Three letters of recommendation (each no more than one page) from the following:
- President of the sponsoring GCSC Garden Club or Council
- School official such as teacher, advisor, department head, or principal
- One individual (not a relative) to endorse character of applicant
- Wallet-size photo of applicant
Notification of Winners
All applicants will be notified of the results by March 15, 2018. Winners will be honored at the April 2018 GCSC State Convention. Attendance of scholarship winner(s) is encouraged, but optional. Scholarship winners and applicants who maintain a” B” average may reapply in subsequent years. Applicants must be a United States citizen and meet state requirements as a South Carolina resident. The GCSC, Inc. Scholarship Chairman can be contacted for additional information.
- Cover Page
- Scholarship Application Form
- Scholarship Information
We support the South Atlantic Region scholarship program which was created in honor of Corrie Whitlock, former GCSC President. Forms for the Corrie Whitlock Memorial Scholarship and all GCSC sponsored scholarships can be found listed below
- SAR Corrie Whitlock Memorial Scholarship Information
- SAR Scholarship Application