EAST PIEDMONT DISTRICT AWARDS
Elaine Wade, East Piedmont Co-Director and Awards Chairman
EAST PIEDMONT DISTRICT AWARD APPLICATIONS ARE DUE FEBRUARY 1, 2018
- Best Bird Videography: Recognizes a club or council for the most outstanding video featuring birds. Emphasis should be on birds in their natural settings and should educate and entertain.
- Wildflower Award: Recognizes a club or council for a landscaping or restoration project at an historic site, building, public garden, school or historic marker, using wildflowers.
- Conservation Award: Recognizes a club or council for the most comprehensive natural resource project focusing on the GCSC’s objectives related to Air, Water, Forest, Land and Wildlife.
- Arbor Day Award: Recognizes a club, group of clubs or council with the most outstanding program and community involvement celebrating Arbor Day.
- Litter Control/Recycling/Upcycling Award: Recognizes a club or council for the most innovative litter control, recycling or upcycling project.
A. To the club or council for the most innovative club or council project.
B. To the club or council for the most innovative project, developed for andimplemented by youth.
- Garden Therapy Award: Recognizes a club or council for the most effective therapeutic gardening project involving the elderly, physically and/or mentally challenged adults or special needs children.
- The Annual James B & Myrtle Edna Lawley Bird Award: Established in 2013, recognition is given to three categories:
A. To the club or council for the most comprehensive bird program involving information
and education relating to birds of the southeast.
B. To the club or council showcasing club dedication that promotes community involvement
that supports bird habitat and general bird education.
C. To the club or council giving time and resources for youth programs that support bird
education and Backyard Wildlife Habitats.
- Best Youth Program Award: Recognizes a club or council for their contributions of time, resources and materials to develop and deliver a youth program focusing on birds and Backyard Wildlife Habitats.
- The Planting America Award: Recognizes the club or council for the program that best embraces the Planting America Campaign (2008) of planting one million trees across America. Topics should include historic trees and preservation. Please include a brief description of the program topic, pertinent information, speaker and credentials.
- National Garden Week Award: Recognizes the club or council providing the most outstanding activity promoting National Garden Week.
- Butterfly Award: Recognizes the club or council for an outstanding project emphasizing habitats/horticulture beneficial to butterflies.
- Christmas Beautification Award: Recognizes the exceptional holiday decorating by a club or council, of an historic tree, civic or community center or public building, using dried or live plant material.
- Blue Star Highway Marker Award: Recognizes a club or council for an outstanding project/dedication service that supports the Blue Star Memorials.
- Horticulture Award: Recognizes a club or council for best project or program emphasizing any phase of horticulture.
- The Nell Kirby “Excellence in Design Award”: Recognizes an individual, club or council for the best design program.
- Special Achievement Award: Recognizes an individual, club or council for any other outstanding project encompassing the goals and objectives of the EPD, GCSC or NGC.
- Outstanding Service Award: Presented by the East Piedmont Director, at his/her discretion, to an individual, club or council demonstrating exceptional interest and participation within the East Piedmont District.
The East Piedmont District Creative Caption Contest
In recognition of President Donnelly’s platform “Birds of a Feather, Garden Together”, we thought it would be great to celebrate birds with a fun contest open to all clubs. Please log on to theGarden Club of South Carolina’s website at Gardenclubofsc.org
Please use the standard awards application and submit your club’s most creative idea of what you think this tiny baby Robin is saying!
A prize will be given to the club with the most creative caption. This deadline for all Creative Caption entries is FEBRUARY 1, 2018!